Thursday, May 16, 2013

Done!

I did it! I passed my oral defense and am now Dr. Barnes!

Following is my academy award winning speech:

Eric was my rock during this whole journey. He's been trying to talk me into getting a doctorate since I graduated from WWU back in 1982. When I came home with this wild idea that I was ready, he was immediately on-board...even when I said it would be in Education and there probably wasn't much money in it. :) He wanted me to do it for me. He was there everyday to listen to me ramble on about my latest interesting find, was ready to deal when I thought my head might explode, listened to me whine when I had to miss out on some fun, and to celebrate every time I did well. He is simply the best. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love you, Eric!
Krissy was my partner-in-crime, my roomie-in-Boston, and is only a few months from becoming a Doctor herself. She helped me connect with other ECE folk and shared many a frustration. Steve and Lorri  were a source of constant support, humor, beer, and friendship.  Margaret convinced me that I wasn't too old to chase a Doctorate and supported me every step of the way. She never failed in her enthusiasm and encouragement.
There are many others to thank, including our wonderful sons and my personal mentor, Judy. Judy read every single paper I wrote from the first day to the last (all 162 pages of the last!) She was my code-checker, my supporter, part of my pilot, and my go-to person when I thought I didn't know what I was doing. Again, many, many thanks to Judy!

Web and Riley helped me through one of the most difficult of months - when we left our home of 19 years to move north. I had exactly two days between the end of spring quarter and the beginning of summer quarter, so no time for a move. I was leaving my beloved job at Pierce, all my Puyallup connections, trying to get ready for summer residency in Boston, getting ready to send Riley off to boot camp and oh yeah, trying to pack up and move out and Eric was already living in Mukilteo. I might have had a meltdown or two... Web and Riley carried the day - dealing with the garage sale mess, fixing up my computer issues, and doing anything they could to help. They've been my constant cheering squad through this whole thing - thanks to both of you - love you more than you can know!
There are so many people who encouraged me along the way, I can't possibly name them all.  My Mom and Dad, sisters and brothers, my cousins, my brother-and-sister-in-law, former and current colleagues, and my fellow doctoral students at NEU.  Thanks to all!
 I said last night that it might take a village to raise a child, but it also takes a village to get a doctorate.  Thank you to everyone who helped me along the way!

2 comments:

Thomas said...

Congratulations Dr. Barnes!!!

Are we still allowed to read these pages?

Paul said...

Is there Doctor in the house?

YES!

Congrats! A long road to hoe...but now done!